Potential Olympians to fight in multiple card boxing event at Heinz Field
PITTSBURGH – USA Boxing and Heinz Field today announced the fight schedule for “Thursday Night Fights,” as part of the Heinz Field Kickoff and Rib Fest, presented by Miller Lite, on Thursday, August 31.
The national governing body of Olympic-style boxing will sanction 16 total fights featuring fighters from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland and West Virginia. The fights will begin at 7 p.m. including Pee Wee, Female, and Open Class divisions.
The lineup is headlined by two fights featuring local amateur boxers. Sylvio Cercone of Mt. Washington will battle Rahim Robinson in the Juniors level bout; both fighters are ranked within the top-15 nationally. The final bout will feature a local standout, this time in the Open Class 178 lb., with #2 ranked Kiante Irving of Ambridge facing Kato Montgomery of Cleveland, Ohio.
SCHEDULE (subject to change)
Pee Wee (8-9 year-old, 60 lbs.)
- Souljah Cook (Mt. Washington) Juan Jauregui (Youngstown, OH)
Bantam (11-12 year-old, 95 lbs.)
- Jordan Trotter (Salisbury, MD) Chadman Dykes (Youngstown, OH)
Intermediate (13-14 year-old, 95 lbs.)
- Shyheim Upshore (Salisbury, MD) JaCordian Dent (Youngstown, OH)
- Mohammed Robinson (Baltimore, MD) Lamont Smith (Cincinnati, OH)
- Erick Acosta (Salisbury, MD) Mizzell Foster (Cincinnati, OH)
- Colleen Davis (Pittsburgh) D’Ajah Scott (Landover, MD)
Novice (140 lbs.)
- Caleb Roderick (Ambridge, PA) Nate Philmore (Altoona, PA)
Novice (152 lbs.)
- Justin Patton (Robinson Township) Markese Hines (Salisbury, MD)
Novice Super Heavyweight
- Brian Mowry (Butler, PA) Shane Thompson (Cincinnati, OH)
- 135 lbs.: Marcell Bonner (Cleveland OH) Isaac Chapman (Youngstown, OH)
- 140 lbs.: Nick Chandler (Charleston, WV) Cory Lopez (Altoona, PA)
- 152 lbs.: Bryan Sims (Youngstown, OH) Nick Anderson (South Hills)
- 152 lbs.: Daquan McNeil (Charleston, WV) Cory Moore (Salisbury, MD)
- Heavyweight: Thomas Mottinger (Salisbury, MD) Roney Harris (Cleveland, OH)
Juniors (15-16 year-old, 135 lbs.)
- Rahim Robinson (Baltimore, MD) Sylvio Cercone (Mt. Washington)
- 178 lbs.: Kato Montgomery (Cleveland, OH) Kiante Irving (Ambridge, PA)
Each fight will last for three rounds and be officiated by a USA Boxing sanctioned referee. Fight decisions will be determined by a collection of USA Boxing sanctioned judges.
The “Thursday Night Fights” event is part of a five-day Kickoff and Rib Fest hosted on the grounds at Heinz Field. 14 of the nation’s best “ribbers” will compete to win Best Ribs, Best Sauce and Fan Favorite awards. The remaining days of the Heinz Field Rib Fest will each feature a free concert series from a nationally-acclaimed performer and events like the Gatorade/Steelers 5K. For more information, visit HeinzField.com/ribfest.
The Heinz Field Kickoff and Rib Fest opens each day at 12 p.m. and closes at 11 p.m. The event will close at 9 p.m. on Labor Day, Monday, September 1.
Fans are reminded that Heinz Field security procedures will be in effect. All patrons will be screened with wand metal detectors upon entry. The NFL’s Clear Bag Policy is not in effect for this event, though all bags are subject to search before entering the festival grounds.
The “Thursday Night Fights” is rain or shine. Should weather become an issue, the event may be relocated inside to the FedEx Great Hall.