Traffic and Parking Details Announced for Pitt vs. Penn State
Heinz Field Management, the University of Pittsburgh, ALCO Parking and the Pittsburgh Pirates have announced traffic and parking policies in advance of the Pitt vs. Penn State football game on Saturday, September 8.
The North Shore schedule for the day includes the 1:05 p.m. Pirates game vs. the Miami Marlins at PNC Park, followed by the 8:00 p.m. Saturday night college football game at Heinz Field. Below is suggested traffic and parking information to ensure the safety and convenience of fans attending each event.
All organizations are encouraging fans attending just the football game to arrive after 5:00 p.m.
Fans will not be permitted into their pre-sold lots until this time. Fans that have purchased parking for the Pirates game earlier in the day will be allowed to remain in the lots if they have an accompanying pre-sold Pitt parking pass.
To assist with inbound and outbound traffic from the parking lots, ALCO Parking and the Pittsburgh Police will be enforcing a No Tailgate Policy from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. All vehicles without a pre-sold Pitt parking pass will need to exit the lots 30 minutes following the end of the Pirates game.
The following are a few of the traffic restrictions
that will be in place prior to the start of the Pitt vs. Penn State football game:
All organizations recommend fans utilize the following locations for Saturday:
- The Clemente Bridge will close to vehicular traffic beginning at 10 a.m. for the Pirates game and will reopen to outgoing North Shore traffic only, 30 to 40 minutes following the final pitch of the game
- The Light Rail (“T”) will continue to provide service from the South Hills with service to the North Shore
- The Light Rail (“T”) will continue to provide free service to and from Downtown. Fans are encouraged to park in one of the available Pittsburgh Parking Authority garages Downtown.
- See details on Stadium Service HERE
- Other tips for fans taking the T to Heinz Field HERE
- Riders using light rail to attend the Pitt vs. Penn State game should allow for extra travel time due to large crowds.
- Fans should utilize the following parking lots for Saturday’s game:
- The Jim Shorkey North and South Lots at PPG Paints Arena will open for tailgating at 1:00 p.m. on game day for $15 a car. Purchase your space in advance of game day HERE.
- Station Square, 1st Ave. Garage, Mellon Garage, Convention Center, Manor Garage, Oxford Garage, Nova Place Garage
- Station Square Rates: Before 4 p.m. ($7) | After 4 p.m. ($15)
- Fans that park at Station Square and ride the Gateway Clipper shuttle boats
- Round trip cost: $12
- Shuttle operates throughout the day with the Pirates playing at 1 p.m
- Golden Triangle and Strip District parking will be available for a minimal cost. This includes Manor Garage (564 Forbes Avenue) and 11th and Smallman (Strip District).
- The Carnegie Science Center parking lot will open at 5 p.m. and is presold through Parking Panda. A limited number of spaces may be available for purchase on game day on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Cost: $75 (Cash Only on Game Day)
- Carnegie Science Center – INFO HERE
- The Convention Center Garage will be available starting at 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon
- Details on other downtown parking options can be found HERE.
For the most accurate game day directions, download the WAZE app HERE